RE: NANFA-- fish parasites

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:24:25 -0500

First off, I'd like to make sure that you know I'm not being critical of you
in any way Bob. I hope you understand that in the most gracious way
(hopefully :) I thought I'd provide another perspective. I usually keep my
mouth shut about this topic because my understanding only causes hassles as
there are umpteen million books to tell you to do *exactly* what you're doing.
And being a heretic is tiresome profession. However, I think this group is
capable of having a amiable discussion, so I'm not all the worried about it
:)

With that said and consideration of my last email, I'm not really sure how the
people who purport this is the best methodology can justify removing the
biological filter in a hurry like that to take care of the end of
nitrification... Which in my experience just throws them back to a surplus of
the *beggining* of nitrification, which is obviously more stressful.

I mean really... What happens when you dilute the biological by 40%
(considering there's still a majority of bacteria in the gravel etc) by
removing almost all the water and then following up with a chemical known to
kill bacteria? Chemicals of the sort we're mentioning here are never biased
about who's peptidoglycan synthesis they're going to inhibit today...

Certainly, you could use the umpteen million products that have come about
from an industry that's made a fine living off of dead and dying animals to
keep up and manufacture an ecosystem while the real one tries desperately to
catch back up. But I don't think that's necessary.

However, I should ask myself what I would do in your situation, and hopefully
this is seen as helpful advice or a amiable opinion, again, instead of
criticism :)

I would get test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if you don't have
them... I would change water out of known healthy systems into this one, and
switch some of the gravel (I'm assuming you have multiple systems) to
restablish the biological that may have been hosed when the tetracycline was
added... And I would carefully survey where this system is at currently.

It is *highly* likely that the resulting infection was shipping stress.
However, I think it would be best to take a step back and look at where the
system is right now. It would be absolutely unfortunate to create a cycle for
a non-issue, thus making an issue.

Of course, if you gave the animals 4 hours baths in tetracycline in a bucket
*away from the system* (which is the only way I'd do any of this if you felt
it necessary)... Well, I've just typed this in vain mostly :)

Okay, there's my 2 cents and now I'm back into the telephone booth to
transform into my alterego... SuperGeek.

Todd