RE: NANFA-- Fwd: Environment down the tubes

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:50:07 -0500

Yes, which is exactly why I mentioned 'you know how the Internet is' :)

It's possible that this infectious, yet pertinent "meme" is only the figment
of the collective conservation and environmental imagination, yet another
romanticized view of the Native People's experience and wisdom... But in any
case, it does make you stop and think a bit. At least that's what it was
intended to do, it certainly wasn't intended to be a comprehensive statement
or reflection on anyone's life or opinions or what have you... I'm concerned
about the outcome of this. Sorry that it seems to have ruffled feathers. :(

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Stallsmith
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 7:34 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Fwd: Environment down the tubes

If it was said by an Indian on the Trail of Tears, it would have been a
Creek rather than Cree; the latter are in northern Quebec, the Creek were in
what's now south Georgia and Alabama. There's a Creek reservation down in
Escambia County, AL, close to the FL line; apparently Federal troops and
state militias didn't round up all of them.

I would vote for making that editorial correction, and maybe putting in
something about the last SUV, too, to jazz it up for modern readers.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

"When you ride alone, Osama rides with you." --Bill Maher

-