Re: NANFA-- Re: Environment down the tubes

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:16:38 -0500

<x-flowed>
Two words about nuclear power: waste disposal. No one objects to trains and
trucks carrying nuclear leftovers through their town because the technology
is perfect.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Jeffrey Fullerton <tcmajorr_at_westol.com>
>To: "nanfa_at_aquaria.net" <nanfa at aquaria.net>
>Subject: NANFA-- Re: Environment down the tubes
>Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 02:35:46 -0500
>
> > **Greenpeacers make me chuckle. They're dead set against nuclear power
>(WHY) but think we should convert vast tracts of land
> > into solar and wind generator fields. THAT's not going to affect the
>environment, NO SIR!
> >
>The Author of "Hard Green: saving the environment from the
>environmentalists" divides Greens into hards and softs - sort of a take
>off of Amory Lovins' soft and hard technological paths.
>
>Soft Greens he argues favor soft technologies which are less efficent
>and require the use of more resources to get returns. Nuclear energy
>ironically being the "cleanest" of energy sources because it's more
>concentrated so you don't have to dig up as much land per unit of energy
>as you would to get the same from coal.
>Petroleum is rated better than coal , natural gas better still- softer
>energy tech - biomass, solar and wind require more space for production-
>which means more land must be altered that could otherwise support a
>natural ecosystem.
>
>The fear of nukes is for most part a hysterical gut reaction that ties
>the idea of anything nuclear with images of Hiroshima. I remember the
>late SF author Issac Asimov saying that he'd be more comfortable living
>next door to a nuclear power plant than a chemical factory or oil
>refinery. No one can argue that anything is without risk, but there is
>definitely danger inherent in the social instability that comes with a
>meltdown of the economy.
>
>In desperate times people are not inclined to go about anything in a
>gentle manner.
>
>Jeff
>
>In days of old when knights were bold and someone had to feed em-
>it took the ire of a local squire to scare the serfs an bleed em!
</x-flowed>