Re: NANFA-- Chains on seines

geoff (gkimber2_at_alltel.net)
08 Nov 2003 22:05:09 -0500

I have also chained my seine. The local creeks are all pretty fast
moving, so I use a rather larger chain. The first time I tried the seine
without a chain, it just glided over the bottom of the creek, allowing
all the pretty darters to smirk at me and swim under the net.

I attached each link to the net using a small cable tie which I clipped
as short as possible. They still scratch me if I am not careful. I
have thought about heating up a piece of metal with a torch and melting
the ends of the ties to round them off, but that seems like a lot of
work.

I attached every link to the net for 2 reasons -

When I had cable tied just a few links to the seine, the chain hung
differently than the net did and looked like it would catch on the rocks
on the bottom of the streams.

Also, I think that by attaching the chain by each link, I distribute the
weight of the chain along the entire net, rather than at just a few
points. I think this will reduce the risk of the chain tearing the net
Besides, the chain and seine now hang together and hug the bottom quite
nicely, even in relatively fast moving waters.

The downside is that the chained seine is pretty heavy.

I have used the net all summer with good results. It does not seem as
though the chain is damaging the net, but it has only been one year and
I didn't get out much.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY