Re: NANFA-- internet clubs

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:55:15 -0500

Hi, Jim. As one who organizes trips periodically, I can speak to what
you're saying. In principal, it's a good idea to have some means of
communication other than the Internet. You're right; there are people who
are not computer savy, who are left out when things come up.

On the other hand, through the years I've found that most of our members are
just not very active. On many occasions, I've sent mailings out to members
in my state and the surrounding states, and for the most part, only one or
two people would respond. Often, I'd plan a trip and no one would attend.
It's a lot of trouble to write and print a leaflet announcing a trip, make
30 or 40 copies, stuff them into envelopes, address them, spend $20 or $40
on postage, only to receive no responses.

Also, members of my local fish club--many of whom aren't even NANFA
members--have shown more interest in trips than people who are NANFA
members.

Fuirthermore, my schedule is usually tight, and trips may be a spur of the
moment event, such as when a member of my local fish club inquires about
collecting somewhere.

The thought just struck me--perhaps a short article in NANFA acknowledging
the problem, and advising non-Internet capable NANFA members to contact
their regional rep/contacts about being added to a phone list. In addition
to our e-mail announcements, we could call those few members who express
interest in going out on a trip.

Charles, Dr. Sharpf Gahn Fischen, what do you think?