Re: NANFA-- sunfish

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:40:59 -0500

<x-flowed>
At 11:02 AM -0800 11/23/03, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a 40 gal. tank (36X15X16) with lots of plants in it. Right now,
>there are angelfish in there, but eventually I would like to switch it
>over to a native tank featuring sunfish. I really like the blue spotted
>sf, pumpkinseeds, dollar sf, and the orange spotted sf.
>I know the blue spots are pretty small and not a problem as far as
>getting too big for the tank. I'm not sure about the others, tho. Is a
>40 gal big enough for pumpkinseeds and/or orange spots? How many of
>these could fit in there and be happy? Can you mix the various sf, or
>should I stick to one kind?

I don't recommend keeping adult dollars with bluespots. The dollars
are bigger and a lot meaner. The pumpkinseeds get really big too.
You could probably do o-spots with bluespots, or o-spots with
p-seeds. Probably also dollars with p-seeds. You wouldn't be able
to keep too many adult p-seeds and/or dollars in a 40. Maybe three
if they all get a long. You could do six or seven of the
o-spots/bluespots. Start with extras, though, in case you lose some
before they all grow out. I have to be contrary, though, and say
that planted tanks work well with sunfishes, well at least better
than with cichlids. Cichlids will actually eat the plants or shred
them to little bits. The worst a sunfish will do is move some of
them around if they are in the way. This is a big plus of sunfishes
over most cichlids (except the dwarf/Apisto/ram types).

--
Mark
Ohio