RE: NANFA-- Olympic Mudminnows??? Re: nanfa V1 #328

Shireen Gonzaga (whimbrel_at_home.com)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:33:03 -0500

> From: "Jay DeLong" <thirdwind_at_att.net>
> Personally I agree that until we have better
> laws that protect species in their natural habitats, conserving separate
> populations in separate close-to-natural conditions is a good thing. For
> example, something like one-third to one-half of the the remaining Devils
> Hole pupfish live in a refugium away from Devils Hole.

But the Hoover Dam refugium population now appears to look a bit
different from the original parent population, due to its adaptation
response to a completely different environment. Technically, I
guess you could still call them C. diabolis. Or following the example
of a certain rock star, perhaps we could call them the "Fish Formerly
Known as the Devils Hole Pupfish."

sg