Re: NANFA-- Newport Aquarium

Lehmanwell_at_aol.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:14:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/00 7:33:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
gkimber2_at_earthlink.net writes:

> The aquarium has only 1 tank with natives in it, which was a bit
> dissappointing. It did have a nice bunch of southern red bellied dace,
> though.

I was there last Thanksgiving (saturday after). I thought that they had a
few more tanks than 1 for natives, was disappointed in the quality and
variety of fish but chalked it up to a new not yet mature setup. My biggest
peeve was being there on a busy weekend, The halls were so narrow and
crowded there was no backing up, which made identification of the occupants
difficult, since all of the legends came after the displays, not before or
underneath like you would expect. I also didn't like the deal about forcing
you through the snack bar and store, since we had numerous munchkins along.
Overall, I felt it was too commercial rather than educational. We did get a
full set of free passes for another visit when we complained, which I left
with the Cinci relatives. Overall, I like New Orleans better, including the
aquarium.

Jack Lehman, Austin, TX
No sense being pessimistic;
It probably wouldn't work anyway!