Re: worm bins was Re: NANFA-- nightcrawlers: predators?

Tom Watson (onefish2fish_at_attbi.com)
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:31:48 -0700

To fulfill a Boy Scout requirement for my son when he was 9, the two of us
built a worm bin that resided under his rabbit's cage. It was outside. The
cage was covered and protected, but there was no bottom on the bin. The
rabbit is long dead (old age). The worms just keep on eaten' and secretin'.
I also have a compost pile. As I add kitchen scraps (veggie only) I cover
them with a layer of compost. I never seeded the bin with worms. Within a
few weeks it was crawling with naturally occurring (read native)
earthworms. They don't eat the scraps, they eat the fungus that eats the
scraps.

I have been an organic gardener for 30 some years, and have always composted
all veggie organic waste (and watered my plants with the water from my
aquariums and ponds).

A standard compost pile will turn organic waste into the best soil amendment
you can get in from 6 months to 2 years depending on the physical effort you
put into it. My experience with a natural worm bin is that it will
consume/transform the same amount of organic material in two months that a
conventional compost pile will consume/transform in a year.

A by-product is some really great fish food.

We enjoy a really moderate climate in western Washington that allows this
process to continue most of the year. In places where the climate is so
severe that the ground actually freezes to any depth, an earth submerged,
insulated box will prevent winter kill of your fungus and wormy friends.
Leave the bottom open.

It was my experience that the bin worked even better when it was seeded
continually with rabbit excretions. If you have children or bent toward
rabbit consumption, I recommend that you arrange your cages to vent on the
bin.

The worm bin method is the quickest and most effective method to turn
organic wastes into fresh vegetables. It also produces the best fish food
and fish bait you can get.

Tom