Re: NANFA-- Newbie/Oak leaves/Coir/Coffee

Travis Haas (travis.c.haas_at_lawrence.edu)
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 19:02:10 -0500

Terri Vance wrote:
> I was wondering, are there any deciduous leaves (particularly Virginia
> species) that could pose a threat to aquatics? I know to avoid areas
> that have received any sort of chemical treatments when collecting leaves
> & such for addition to tanks/ponds.

Watch out for Walnut trees. I'm not sure if they're native to VA, but
Walnuts are great producers of toxic compounds. In fact, a tank of
Blackbanded Sunfish that I kept in our woodworking shop met their demise
partly because of walnut-dust conditions.

Travis Haas
Appleton, WI

P.S. If anyone knows of any more particular info. on Walnut toxicity,
I'd be very interested in hearing about it.