Re: NANFA-- phenotypic phun.

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:14:53 -0400

<x-flowed>
Yeah, there's a population (or sub-species) in south Georgia/north Florida
that's know for that intense coloration. They're known as "purpurus"
(Lepomis macrochirus purpurus) because of this distinct coloration. And
they're also genetically distinct, a project of John Avise at the Univ. of
Georgia in the 1980s.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Crail, Todd" <tcrail_at_northshores.com>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>Subject: NANFA-- phenotypic phun.
>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:25:38 -0400
>
>More interest emerges from the 10/12/02 trip.
>
>We caught a schlode of bluegill in one of the streams we visited.
>Normally,
>this wouldn't be much of a fuss. However, all of them had the most intense
>purple hue. Has anyone ever seen this before?
>
>Here is a shot I took. The first shot is straight off the camera... The
>second had contrast and brightness modified a bit in Photoshop, although I
>don't think either is really representative of how purple these fish were.
>
>http://www.Farmertodd.com/NANFA/101202Trip/PurpleGill.jpg
>http://www.Farmertodd.com/NANFA/101202Trip/PurpleGillEnhanced.jpg
>
>At any rate, I thought it might be interesting to hear if anyone else had
>seen
>the mysterious "purplegill"? :)
>
>Todd
>
>http://www.farmertodd.com