Re: NANFA-- Fwd: water lily question

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:49:47 -0800 (PST)

Carol,

My one experience with Water Lilies in a landscaped pond
(about 10' in diameter) has been that they will take over
and completely cover the pond in about two summers. If
you plant them in the substrate, they will eventually
spread and clog the entire pond and will resist all
attempts at removal or trimming. This is more true for
a southern location like Jackson, MS than for places further
north.

You may want to invest in cheap planters (like the $10
concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot) and some soil
covered with an inch of pea gravel. It really is the
tried and true method. It is the only way to go if you
are planning on non-native Tropical Water Lillies.

Jeff Fullerton may have additional comments to add here.

Sajjad Lateef
Chicago