Re: NANFA-- Temps -personal freshwater WI observations

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:11:31 -0500

Some great examples about how hardy fish can be in regards to temperature
changes.

I think that with the "less hardy" species, again it's an accumulative
effect of stress. There's something to the scale damage and handling that
pushes them over the edge, if not, at least to the edge. Getting picked up
in 8' of nylon mesh is pretty unnatural isn't it? :) If the genotype
you're dealing with was already at some preliminary temperature or DO2 limit
that has them stressed, handling is definately going to be enough stress to
push them over.

This is why I prefer to collect home specimens when the water temp is less
than 70 degrees. I have way more success warming a fish up from 35 degrees
F to 65 degrees F over a couple hours (Nearly zero mortality and I use a
splash method, so they're getting temp extremes as they collectively warm)
than I do taking fish that were at 78 degrees F and putting them into my mid
summer 78 degree aquariums.

For sure, the dramatic change in temp is stressful, I guess I feel that it's
some sort of "trifecta" of stressors that are going to make the animal
croak.