RE: NANFA-- Flagfish trivia

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:07:25 -0500 (CDT)

While Jan Hoover's answer is more easily "digestable" than
Martin's, please don't be shocked when you find that people do swallow
live fish ... as a cure for asthama.

While in India, I read of a herbal cure for asthma involving a
secret yellow paste administered to a person inside the mouth of live
fish. The person is made the swallow the fish live ... yes, that's
correct. This "cure" for asthama is available on only one day in the year
- the spring equinox. Also, the secret concoction is known to only one
family in one town ... and people line up to be cured. (I think it's a
sham ... but, don't say that to those poor souls who just had a live fish
stuffed down their throats).

Traditionally, the Spring Equinox is when fish is prepared in most
Indian homes (at least where people who are not strict vegans).

Sajjad "Cultural Shock" Lateef

ps: I think I might try to go fish collecting in India one of these days.

Sajjad Lateef       <http://www.lateef.org/sajjad/>
sajjad_at_acm.org      sajjad at lateef.org