Re: NANFA-- Natives should get TV exposure

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:33:23 EDT

I agree with you, but as to "what sells" is determined by what "mass
marketing and media" decide to continually flaunt in our faces. For example:
a dandelion in the yard, to many, is an "undesirable" plant... however, I'll
bet that if mass marketing and media decided to promote this benign plant as
something we should have, it would sell. Add to this, how the plant is
presented: As long as it were placed in a fancy pot, and placed on a shelf
in a lawn and garden store,and nicely tagged, it would most likely sell. My
point is, that there was a time that everything that "sells" today, at one
time had to go through the tuff times of breaking into the market. As for
promoting the awareness and conservation of our native fishes, the same
concept applies... They will have to be presented in a fassion that is
"cool".. Believe me, with the gullible minds of most Americans, a good
"marketing" plan of attack would have people adopting streams left and
right!!!! HA!