Re: NANFA-- Natives should get TV exposure

DasArm_at_aol.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 00:54:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/00 5:05:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
darterman_at_hotmail.com writes:

<< This is a great video and as far as I know, it's still available. This
>would
>be a great choice for the Discovery channel or some such outlet and it's
>already made.
>
>I talked to Bill Roston at length at the Cham-Urbana NANFA meeting. He was
>really discouraged because he couldn't get any media outlets interested in
>his incredible videos. He has stuff that would boggle the minds of watchers
>of nature shows and go along way toward exposing the incredible diversity
>we
>have in aquatic species. >>

Damn; I can't believe that no media outlets would be interested in his
videos; I've seen his photos and thought they were just amazing in how they
captured the fishes' color and everything else. I'm assuming some of the
media outlets he contacted were the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and
others? I'd be a little surprised if the Discovery Channel was one of them; I
recall seeing a program on the Florida Everglades on the Discovery Channel
which featured a lot of footage of native fishes like different minnows,
largemouth bass, bluegills, gars, bowfins as well as inverts like crayfish
and red water mites, plants like bladderwort which were trapping water mites
and eating them, and herps like snapping turtles. Of course they had
different types of fish eating birds like the anhinga (sp?), probably mammals
as well, and crowd-pleasers like alligators.
Maybe if a "habitat"-type documentary was sent to them showing all of these
different groups of animals (depending on the location of the habitat in
question) while still keeping the main focus of the documentary on native
fishes, it would help "open the door" to more favorable reactions to any
future native fish documentaries about native fishes from TV channels. Or
maybe they should also show more wierd-looking inverts like aquatic insect
larvae if they wanted to keep the footage more "underwater" and focused on
aquatic creatures; another program saw on the Discovery channel was about
wetlands or ponds and featured many different ones like backswimmers, water
boatmen, water tigers (eating a stickleback and backswimmer), damselflyand
dragonfly larvae larvae. They also had leeches, frogs,and salamanders, as
well as pike. I can't remember what else they had. Some footage of herps
might help too; wierd-looking ones like hellbenders, sirens, amphiumas, and
mudpuppies that a lot of people probably don't even know about. This would
help illustrate the interconectedness of all the members of a particular
habitat, and the main focus could still be kept on native fishes if the
majority of the footage showed fish.