Re: NANFA-- Re: NANFA-snapping turles

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:26:26 -0700

Hello Jim, All,

I really like what you did for those turtles. My aunt in Missouri has a
large water filled sinkhole on her property that has many turtles in it. My
parents visit every year, and always report seeing the turtles laying eggs,
and like you, discover that all the nests have been raided in the night. It
upsets my father somewhat. Based on your report though, at least I have a
suggestion of a method of protecting the nests. I am sure that he can get
my cousins involved in monitoring the progress of the nests. Your method of
protecting the nest was so simple, I was dumbfounded that I hadn't thought
of something similar.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org