RE: NANFA-- Re: snapping turtles

Michael Brock (michael_at_fun-da-mentals.com)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:00:36 -0400

I agree with Moon. Several years ago I read about a program to export
Alligator Snapping turtles to India to be released in the Ganges river.
(stop reading here if you're squemish). The number of partially cremated
bodies was becoming quite the pollution hazard and it was hoped that the
turtles would scavenge the bodies and reduced the problem.

Could be wrong though.

Michael Brock

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Moontanman_at_aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 6:50 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Re: snapping turtles

bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net writes:

<< As to the favorite foods, I also agree that all turtles of the
carnivourous
ilk are live-food eater's and don't prey on dead foods, at all! This
includes the Snapping-turtles of North America, for sure!

BG did you mean to say that snappers don't feed on dead animals? I have
observed both snappers and soft-shell turtles feeding on carrion in the
wild.
All turtles will eat dead foods even box turtles will feed on carrion
according to other observers.

Moon