Re: NANFA-- Re: snapping turtles

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:27:39 -0500 (CDT)

Nope. No river in India is pollution-free. Too many people, not
enough conservation ethic (in the general populace), unregulated
industries (air, land and water pollution is unchecked) - all serve to
make India one heck of a polluted place. I'll bet the Ganges is pure at
the sources (the Himalayas) ... but, most of it flows through some of the
most highly populous regions of the country (and it has other sources of
pollution since it has religious significance for Hindus). Some cities
have a 200+ ppm suspended particulates in air (smog!). Delhi has "Oxegen
Bars" where people can spend some time breating fresh Oxegen.

Speaking of pollution ... I have seen massive fish kills from
plant insecticides that have been washed into Lakes when it rained soon
after application.

Sajjad