Re: NANFA-- reducing exotic pops by fishing pressure

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:33:04 EDT

Brian, you correctly point out that Massachusetts has relatively few "game"
species of fish. There has been some research on the subject of what the
introduction of exotic predators has had on native fish communities. One
study looked for the presence and absence of native shiner species in lakes
around New England, relative to the presence of various basses. Not
surprisingly, there is evidence of local extirpations of many species as the
result of suddenly increased predation pressure. After saying all this I
can't remember the names of the researchers; Karsten Hartel at the MCZ at
Harvard has a freely-available poster summarizing their research taped on
the wall outside the Ichthylogy Collection. The work was supported by either
the EPA or FWS.

About 10 years ago I had a sad talk with a Mass. Environmental Police
officer along the North River in Marshfield (maybe Hanover?). He was
bemoaning the fact that repeated introductions of coho salmon had failed in
the North River, that this was what license holders really wanted. I
remarked that that was kinda stupid, since the ecology of the river basin is
utterly different from the Pacific northwest just to head the list. He
looked at me like I had pooped on his shoe and repeated that this was what
people wanted. That was the end of that conversation; I left thinking that I
would like a bag of $100 bills but the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
wouldn't come through on that one...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL