RE: NANFA-- preserving greenspace..It's not too bad yet.

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:34:15 -0400

Hi John,

You make some very valid points. Here's one American city's whack at it,
pro's and con's. Jump on over to this link and start clickin' :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Portland+urban+gro
wth+boundary

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bongiovanni
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 2:26 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- preserving greenspace..It's not too bad yet.

Well it appears that we all have the right sentiments concerning our green
spaces and improving them. What we lack is a plan. "That" is where the
contoversy is. For some the plans go too far, for other the plans don't go
far enough. To control urban sprawl do we limit yard size by legislation?
Driving down the road the other day I saw a wonderful patch of woods and
thought "what a great place to build my house". Many of us want to reside in
or near "Nature" but is that the correct thing to do? How many "naturalists"
does it take to build in a location before the landscape is ruined?

We cannot walk this earth without changing it. But who decides where and how
I live? Who decides what materials I build with?

Sure there are things we can do. I always try to leave my camping area
cleaner than when I found it. I can buy a more fuel efficient and cleaner
burning vehicle. Recycle when I can. I won't become a vegetarian because of
the effect of grazing has on the environment. Most recommendations that I've
ever read about preserving our environments are basically PC dribble that
won't account for much if any improvement of the environment. To
significantly improve the environment and preserve what we have drastic
measures are required. Who is going to make those decisions?

John
-