NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1421

Dave McNeely (dlmcneely_at_lunet.edu)
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:59:00 -0500

Well! Import of non-native fishes for the pet trade is a major
environmental problem, whatever we might think of individual fishes kept in
our home aquaria. For that matter, so is indiscriminate collecting of
native fishes for pets -- all of us have to take care in what we do, and use
our interests for betterment, not detriment, of the animals and environments
we find so interesting and admire.

I know that it is not the single animal in an aquarium that causes
difficulty for native fishes and their habitats. Neither is it the single
application of DDT on the walls of a house to keep disease bearing mosquitos
at bay that is the cause of accumulation of DDT and its metabolites in
environments.

The difficulty with acting on our own short term desires is that those short
term desires may contribute to a trade or practice that is detrimental. If
I want to keep a snakehead, I have to get it from a source that imports
snakeheads (unless I go to a local habitat that has already had them
introduced and where they are already possibly wreaking havoc). Getting the
snakehead from a source that imports them encourages the source to import
more. I have no idea where those that I don't take home to my aquaria will
end up. The state, through its conservation agencies has recognized the
problem.

Were I a resident of S. Carolina, I would cooperate. I am not a S. Carolina
resident, but I have no intention of dealing with importers of banned
fishes -- or importers of non-banned fishes for that matter.

Maybe a part of the problem here is the endowment of non-fishy traits to
fishes. Fishes kept as pets must be cared for properly, to keep them
healthy. Fishes that are an environmental problem need to be dealt with,
properly.

I'll climb off the soap box.

Dave McNeely