RE: NANFA-- SOSC was Bluenose shiner news

Wagner, Brian K. (bkwagner_at_agfc.state.ar.us)
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:20:26 -0500

Good thought's, John!

Arkansas is one of the states that currently does not have legal protection
for SOSC's. We have a list that we use for reviewing request for Scientific
Collection Permits, and we require justification before allow researchers to
take SOSC's for scientific studies. However, the general public with a
fishing license are not restricted from such take. We make this distinction
because of impact magnitude - an aquarist taking 6 fish is much different than
a researcher putting 100 in a jar (and I put my share of fish in jars, so I am
not knocking the value of ichthyological collections).

In fact, there is a wide range of status included on our SOSC list - from
federal candidate species endemic to small areas that we don't think should be
taken at all, to endemics that are dirt common within their range, to
wide-ranging species that are rarely collected and we just don't know much
about. So as far as providing guidance to fish enthusiasts that want to limit
their potential for impacting SOSC's, I'd have to agree that the call would
need to be made on and individual species basis.

Brian Wagner
Nongame Aquatics Biologist
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission