Re: NANFA-- Bluenose shiner news

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:46:25 -0400

<x-flowed>
Legal protection is only a start towards protecting a species in nature.
Really, who much cares if a species is still in captivity but extinct in
nature. In the U.S., protection at the federal level has protected many
species from extinction in the wild. It's not easy, and more could be done,
but you have to start somewhere. There are species that COULD be collected
to extinction in the wild, especially many species of Cyprinodon in the
western desert. Welaka? Maybe not. In truth, B.G. is one of the few people
who knows how to catch them efficiently, and I know that he wouldn't go
overboard(!).

But welaka is like many species of dubious status, it's hard to collect them
easily and determine their population status. Hellbender salamanders are the
classic case of this, you only find them in very specific, hard-to-sample
habitats. Many of these habitats are gone, and so are the hellbenders.
Welaka are similar. I've seen a creek in Louisiana that was full of them.
But they were hanging out over a deep hole with little easy access, and a
boat would have been difficult to put in at that spot. There are ways that
can be used to catch them (not electroshocking...), but it's not a casual
process. So sampling many likely habitats would be tedious and your
assessment after several weeks of the regional population status (numbers
and locations) would still be a well-informed guess. Do you err on the side
of safety, or blithely say there must be a buncha fish all around? Chip's
comment about the South Carolina DNR is typical, they're not going to go
racing out and protect something, if only because they have too many
responsibilities for too few people.

So we're back to considerations of how to save how much habitat. Saving
ecosystems makes much more sense than saving species, in an immediate sense.
The Nature Conservancy's strategy is the best--buy the land and protect it
yourself! But I think the federal government should do more, too, which I
understand is not always a wildly popular idea.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

</x-flowed>