Re: NANFA-L-- Releasing fish?

marxxx (marxxx-in-earthlink.net)
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:59:54 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_049C_01C53F81.0CD42D10

>From what I have been told it should not be done.

The fish would most likely come in contact with other fish/pets that are =
not from the native waters through the tank, filter, gravel, =
decorations, net, etc. Even though the animal may seem healthy it could =
be carrying pathogens/parasites that could be introduced to the water =
system.=20

It is also of concern that the animal be released exactly where it was =
caught. It could introduce new/undesirable genes if introduced to a new =
population. This is one of the problems with introducing zoo raised =
animals. Many animals original collection location can't be verified. I =
would think this would be of greater concern with animals that have a =
large range, especially north to south, where traits for heat/cold =
tolerant would be of great concern to the animal.=20

Mark
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Snailcollector14-in-cs.com=20
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org=20
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:47 PM
Subject: NANFA-L-- Releasing fish?

I am writing a basic article about native fish and have a question =
about releasing fish. Some say that you should never release a native =
fish kept in captivity, even to its native waters. Others say that you =
shouldn't release them only if they were kept with fish from different =
locations. What is your view on this?

Thanks,
Andrew
------=_NextPart_000_049C_01C53F81.0CD42D10

From what I have been told it should = not be=20 done.

The fish would most likely come in = contact with=20 other fish/pets that are not from the native waters through the tank, = filter,=20 gravel, decorations, net, etc. Even though the animal may seem healthy = it could=20 be carrying pathogens/parasites that could be introduced to the water = system.=20

It is also of concern that the animal=20 be released exactly where it was caught. It could introduce = new/undesirable=20 genes if introduced to a new population. This is one of the problems = with=20 introducing zoo raised animals. Many animals original collection = location can't=20 be verified. I would think this would be of greater concern with animals = that=20 have a large range, especially north to south, where traits for = heat/cold=20 tolerant would be of great concern to the animal.

Mark