Re: NANFA-L-- FW: turtle poachers arrested in Alabama

Moontanman-in-aol.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:33:19 EDT

--part1_36.71a258b4.2fa134ef_boundary

In a message dated 4/27/05 1:51:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu writes:

> The fact that the folks illegally catching turtles also caught turtles
> legally is irrelevant to the conclusion that they committed a crime.
> If we want to continue the privilege we have of collecting fish for
> aquaria, we need to be on the side of resource protection.

Doesn't it bother you that out of 7000 turtles caught almost all were legal?
Not only that but they were caught by just a few individuals. 340 turtles?
Peanuts compared to the legal catch, more turtle than that are killed on highways
in one county. the entire article centered on how terrible the trafficking in
illegal turtles was but it used the numbers of legal turtles to make the
crime sound much worse than it was. the side of resource protection would be to
limit the numbers of turtles a person can catch and use for any purpose to
reasonable levels while enforcing laws that limit those levels not making
exaggerated claims to shock people. I am all for protecting turtles but I won't be a
party to lies and half truths to do so.

Moon

--part1_36.71a258b4.2fa134ef_boundary