RE: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (Jan.J.Hoover-in-erdc.usace.army.mil)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 17:16:29 CDT

Todd wrote:
>>>Understood. And I'd love to hear more thoughts. I guess what I was
getting-in-is my excitement that it _had_ been in there ALIVE for a year,
regardless of wether it consumed itself or not, etc etc... There is-in-least
more of a motivation to do a study of their husbandry (measure mass, size,
etc) over time, now that I know that one could-in-least be "husbanded" for a
year<<<

Jeremy wrote:
>>> I have had Corbicula find its way into my tanks and live a while (>16
months). However, I don't think they grew much, if-in-all; besides, I never
saw them siphoning. A month ago, giant floaters (P. grandis) were placed in
a few of my tanks and they have not opened. Matt is right, during times of
stress, mussels will "clam" up <<<

A friend of mine did a study on the ebony shell and found that
"intentionally unfed" mussels lost 30-40% of their body mass (exclusive of
shell) after 3 months-in-15 C but mortality was low (< 5%). He guesses that
non-feeding mussels-in-higher temperatures for longer periods would have
higher losses of mass and mortality.
I could not access Todd's site, but would guess that if the bivalves
persisted for a year, they could have been feeding, and possibly growing.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:22 CDT