Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: Todd Crail (farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 17:51:15 CDT

--- Original Message -----
From: Lance Merry
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:47 PM

>Aye, and the other half of the story comes out. I always heard they ruined
people's docks >and silly stuff like that. I understand now.

Never underestimate the power of the ruination of material things in
motivating people to want to do something about an exotic. Telling someone
"You should want it gone because it ruins biodiversity" makes their eyes
glaze over with "dang treehugger" syndrome (which is dogmatic, and true
conservationists who wish to make a difference need to reconsider as an
approach). I've seen this ruin too many first impressions and closed minds
permenantly.

However, if you can make dollars and SENSE out of it, you're way more apt to
get their initial attention, and then you can endear them to the
biodiversity down the road.

You might be very suprised-in-which minds you can open, and is the essence
of my new mantra... "Stop _saying_ what you think is right, and start
_doing_ what makes the most sense." I see no other way for the continuation
of _our_ species :)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com