RE: NANFA-L-- Releasing native fish back to the wild -- EVER

Irate Mormon (archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net)
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:39:45 -0500

Jase, I have thought exactly the same thing. Buckets, nets, test
equipment, etc., - all are viable means of disease transmission.

--
Irate

Sarcasm - just another free service I offer!
Behalf Of
>Jase Roberts
>Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:25 PM
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Releasing native fish back to the wild -- EVER
>acceptable?
>
>... And here's a further thought exercise:  If we're supposed to be
worried
>about transporting disease between different local bodies of water, is
>everyone sterilizing their equipment between collecting sites?
>
>Is there a difference between these two scenarios:?
>
>1) Collect one fish from "Site A", and another fish from "Site B", 10
miles
>down the road.  Keep them together in good water quality for 6 months,
and
>release them back to their respective collection sites (assuming both
>appear disease-free).
>
>2) Haul a seine load of several hundred flipping fish from "Site A",
dump
>them back, then drive down the road and start seining at "Site B" 15
>minutes later.
>
>If anything, I'd assume there's equal or greater chance of transporting
>diseases on a wet seine that is in direct contact with hundreds of fish
--
>at least for ectoparasites, viruses, bacteria, and anything that forms
>free-floating eggs, larvae, or cysts.
>

>I'm not necessarily advocating for releasing fish back to the wild (in
the
>same area where they were collected, of course) -- but I want to know
if
>there are *scientifically sound* reasons for not doing so.
>
>Thanks,
>Jase
>
>--
>Jase Roberts
>Lewiston, Maine
>on the Androscoggin River
-
>/ Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily
>/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about
NANFA,