Re: NANFA-L-- Photo Library

Tony Terceira (terceira-in-ride.ri.net)
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:34:21 -0400

At 10:10 AM 8/27/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>But if one is looking to release their photos into the public domain..
>does this mean they then would not be able to allow NANFA to host them?
>Or is this service only intended to be for licensed (or protected in some
>manner) photos?
>-derek parr

This is an interesting situation. As one who derives income from
the sale of images to commercial publications I offer the following:

Placing a photo on the web is not releasing it into public domain,
although the way people steal and use intellectual property on the web you
might think it was.

A photograph always belongs to the person who takes the image
regardless of where it appears. There are a few sites that photographers
sell their images to totally and although they received compensation
depending upon the contract their name will not appear with the image.

I help maintain the public gallery of the AKA . That gallery is
for public viewing as are most other galleries on the web. Not for copying
the images to use on another site, or downloading them for
wallpaper..........................

The more we take images and use them in other places without
permission the less images we will see. Most photographers I know are
pretty good about letting people use their work, especially if it is non
commercial. They just want to know what it is being used for. I have
seen my image used in an auction claiming that the picture was the exact
fish they were bidding on !!!! now that's more than inappropriate. If
you want to you and image ask permission . It will insure more images are
available to view.

Tony

Tony Terceira
Scituate, Rhode Island