Re: NANFA-L-- Releasing (or not releasing) Fish: Some

Edward W. Bihary, Jr. (ebihary-in-verizon.net)
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:40:30 -0400

This is certainly true. My local (privately owned, non-chain) fish shop
does this all the time. I have personally benefited. Somebody returned a
beautiful 4-inch green severum that had been housed with an oscar and had
its fins mutilated. The store took it back, housed it in a recovery tank in
the basement until its fins grew back, and sold me that beautiful severum
for $8 (they usually sell for $28 that size). I was thrilled - what a find!

Whether the LFS would take a native fish is another matter. I have no idea.
The only native fish that I have seen for sale are channel catfish and
alligator gar. The alligator gars are not native to Pennsylvania (other
types of gars are, though), but channel catfish are everywhere. If you
catch a catfish around here in southwestern Pennsylvania, it's most surely
going to be a brown bullhead or a channel catfish. The channel catfish, if
it lives long enough, will outgrow any tank. So what becomes of these fish?
I suspect many of them are released into the wild. It seems irresponsible
to sell a fish that will definitely outgrow any aquarium it is housed in.
It probably should be illegal.

Ed Bihary
Pitcairn, Pennsylvania
Turtle Creek Valley