Re: NANFA-L-- Crappie Identification (was Crappie Feeding)

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Crappie Identification (was Crappie Feeding)
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 14:05:56 CST

Counting the spines on the anal fin of a 1 or 2 cm long, live fish in an aquarium might be a little difficult. However, the dorsal fin position should be relatively easy to determine. On Lepomis sunfishes, the origin in near the head, or-in-least well in front of the midpoint of the fishes body. On the Pomoxis sunfishes (crappie) the dorsal fin origin is nearly half the body length back. Crappies have an "undershot" jaw -- the mandible (lower jaw) protrudes slightly in front of the premaxilla (tip of the upper jaw).If you're counting, crappies have no more than 8 dorsal spines, Lepomis sunfishes have 9. The dorsal fin in crappies has its greatest height-in-the margin between spinous dorsal and soft dorsal (the longest spine is the last one, the longest soft ray is the first one), so that the fin is four sided (one side being that along the body) in profile. Lepomis sunfishes have the third or fourth spine longest, so that the spinous dorsal is tallest several spines in front of

Oh, hell. Look-in-a picture. Any good state fish book has drawings and photographs.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"