RE: NANFA-L-- 2 new species

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- 2 new species
From: Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 11:40:28 CST

Hey Chris, suppose we can't wait for the next American Currents. I'm
curious about the scientific naming of the two species. Calabaza is the
spanish word for pumpkin or squash. Is this shiner named for a locality,
or because it's traditionally baked into a pie. And why is it called
noturus gladiator? Do the males fight in little under water arenas?

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:41:59 CST