Re: NANFA-L-- Brindled Madtoms & Mussels

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Brindled Madtoms & Mussels
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 19:18:35 CST

lol No harm no foul, I was just joking anyways about the night seining, that deals with a fishing license only, and I like to joke about the varied and sometimes vauge rules of collecting in Ohio. Which reminds me I abandoned my rules and regs sheet for NE ohio counties and park districts rather quickly...

But since we have a couple people all on the same page...has this ever been partken by several people within NANFA and persued with a grant and reporting. Ohio DOW and Biological Survey small grants are often awarded to people and non profits. I can see reasons why not, full time jobs, families, basically just other major commitments, but it seems like an area where the non profit status can be a benefit and used advantageoulsy for not only the resource but for exposure and notoriety of the club itself.

And getting back to the exposure of the club. I really want to bring back the issue of vehicle window decals. There is an ohio fishing club I belong to that has one, its very popular amongst members, we use it to find members to meet up fishing, and its advertising! Cheap to produce with a good printer and a way we could get some funds into the treasury.

Lori Austin <providentaustin-in-yahoo.com> wrote:
I think we are talking about the same thing...but, the night sampling was done strictly to find the Northern Madtom...as far as seining-in-night, I have a statewide scientific collecting permit and the folks that got the brindleds ...DNAP is Division of Natural Areas and Preserves...they look-in-night for northerns. For some reason the riffles were loaded with YO previous Y brindles when I was out in spring. I am positive they were not northerns. In fact a had to take a few back to make absolutely certain. I am not like TC...he can look-in-the seine from 30 feet away and tell whether you have a mimic or a sand. Northerns have not been documented from the Little Muskingum. I hope to find them.

We are to get one inch tommorow...the river will be up and rolling brown for a week or so.l

good evening fellas

Tom W. ... I will get a jpeg of my E. masquinongy ohioensis to send you along with my modified flies and techniques.

Mike here..using Lori's computer

matt ashton <ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com> wrote:
A river like that (Little Musk) was exactly what I was getting-in-with the smaller tribs to the Ohio I rattled off. I think those would be high in probability if you are removed just enough from the mainstem of the Ohio, the industry, etc. I have the ORSANCO data saved somewhere, you can download it from their site and queery it using Access, and you can check alot of records for those types of streams. I know the Little Musk is on it and I am sure many other tribs are too. A quick search of the OSU mollusk database or the INHS too would help narrow down the search.

I dunno about open water. Most of the rivers and tribs in Akron are still open except for fringe ice, but I just heard we are supposed to get 6-9 tomorrow and another 6+ on top of that thursday. Southeast ohio to get a mix of snow and rain and ice, and past that just miserable freezing rain.

Hmmm-in-night...isnt there some rule about seining past 9 PM ? O:-)