RE: NANFA-L-- OT: Sales of Males

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:10:46 -0500

Having been a retailer, I can assure you that the 98% focus of aquaria now is
to set up the most colorful living curio cabinent with the least amount of
money and effort. The species that are popular fire right up as males only...
So why fuss with loosing space in your curio cabinent as well? And then why
should a retailer waste space with something no one wants? You just end up
with a bunch of females you have to feed.

I think this contrasts with Bob's experience back in the day, when it was
viewed as economical to make your own fish. But with the comparative
_inexpense_ of transporting wild fish globablly compared to the 60's and 70's,
there is really no point in having any females involved with your trade or
hobby.

I've actually had people _ticked off_ that no one warned them Poecilids would
continue to bear young. It's too cheap to ship from Florida and Indonesia for
a shop to buy them from the hobbyists. The hobbyists are too "ethical" to
kill the juveniles. It's almost the fact that the fish CAN breed is a
liability!

Me... I say get a grass pickerel :)

I don't think it has anything to do with anything else besides the market
pressures-in-large.

I mean really... Who wants to keep female chipokae mbuna besides a total fish
geek (and a real cichlidiot-in-that! ;)? What's the point? Ugly fish that'll
kill everything else... But they'll pay 10 bucks for the male because it's
purple-blue and is cute when small.

OR why keep a darter that's not going to come into color ever, or even if its
a male, when it spawns or is-in-55 degrees with a high protein diet? This
comes into our territory too, when you want to understand why AC isn't flying
off the shelf-in-a retail store.

To answer your "what happens to the females" question... They get culled from
the market by the people who don't get tied up that it's cruel to kill it
because it's ugly. That's about that :)

And... Gouramie females are colorful too (reading as I type lol). Even
still... My local shop is schweet, always has female bettas for sale, and
_never_ sells any. Why? Because when someone asks "what is that" and they
say "female betta" and they go "like those fish on the counter?" and they say
"yeah." and then the perspective of the would be female betta buyer just
changed.

Now the female is ugly.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH