Re: NANFA-L-- Black Darters, tis the season!

matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:51:21 -0800 (PST)

The Hiwassee in March?! youre nuts hahaha I was praying to shock up fish everytime I was there during the heat of August just so I wouldnt have to snorkel and standing in it in September and October got really cold. So yeah needless to say its trout water, but also take in highly that its not regulated for hydropower, its for white water rafting. So early in the year when there is no rafting, there is no real schedule to the water releases. This past March primarily had a 1500 cfs generation average for the day. You SHOULD be able to safely be in the water with that though it will depend on the actual hourly generation. For example the only time you can effectively sample during the summer is on the weekends when they average about 12-1500 for the day, but that is because there is no generation from some twilight hour to 11 am EST. Depending on where you are, channel morphology and all that you can see a a difference of several feet from low to high generation. I'm really only
blabbing all of this from some near ghastly experiences working in tailwaters when they unexpectedly start rising and youre 100 m from shore.

I told ya my schedule river wise and the dates I gave you might be flexible enough that we could meet up the 9th and 10th. I've got some personal interest in some of the southeast TN stuff too that wont coincide with research sites or class work.

Matt
Cookeville, TN

"Todd D. Crail" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
Not so splashy, but dang... I love that Catonomus contrast! But that ain't
to say I don't appreciate that glowing green head lol.

By the way... Me and the Ladyfriend are going to do the Spring Fling
afterall March 5-11. First stop is Durham, and that's what's holding us up
on seeing who doesn't have plans-in-this point. Stops include Columbia and
Greenville SC and Chattanooga TN (come around the back way in thru
Cleveland, maybe hit the Hiawasse). Might also swing up to Shelbyville if
the Duck is flowing safely and I haven't exhausted my seining karma.

Was planning on going to the Mussel Seminar, but my sister is having her kid
early (prolly be an uncle tomorrow :) and I don't want to impose (was going
to shack up-in-their house), can't afford a hotel (even if I could find one
now), and hadn't fortunately sent in my registration yet. So that's why
this is all late notice after all that planning getting shot in January :)

Todd
The Schedule Madness, Toledo, OH
Be the change you want to see.
http://www.farmertodd.com