RE: NANFA-L-- Was Sturgeon exports banned, now SUV's Gone Wild.

dobroblues (dobroblues-in-bellsouth.net)
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:14:17 -0500

http://www.nbc6.net/news/5556481/detail.html

Hi all,
Check this link out; it is the same story text posted before along
with a slide show. The pictures don't show the Hummer though (that I saw).
The only SUV in the pics is a Grand Cherokee (Ken laughs nervously), but it
isn't green.

I drive a Grand Cherokee for several reasons. I actually use the
4x4, and the back is packed with tools, spare parts, extra clothes, and
dipnets. If a third person goes with us for lunch, they have to hold
something in their lap! I did specifically look for the 6 cylinder, for the
mileage as well as the reliability and simplicity. I got a good deal on it
from a dealer "back home" as well. Of course, to me it isn't that big -- if
I was lucky enough to be able to live on the family farm I would be driving
an F-150. I'm simply on the road too much for that.
The point is that people just need to evaluate their needs and get
what suits them best. I think most other people understand that. Nobody
expects the UPS man to drive a Civic.
But I do tend to think about an H1 when somebody says "Hummer," and
it seems harder to prove that you "need" an H1 if you don't have a big
business, a ranch or maybe a militia. I think the H3 is pretty sweet -- I'm
sure it will do well for them.
Now I am really curious to see the vehicle in this incident. Was it
really an H1 or is the word "Hummer" being used purposefully to charge the
article? "Hummer" implies a certain socio-economic status; therefore it
provokes ire because "they should have known better." Had some goobers
dragged a croc around with a Pinto, people would still be irate, but the
perps would be dismissed as "a bunch of stupid hicks." This is of course
stereotypical, since the median value of a vehicle where I am from is
probably about 3500 dollars, but most folks I know wouldn't torture a
crocodile to death. They might shoot one ("Jimmy, that ain't no snappin'
turtle!") but they wouldn't torture it.

Ken Logsdon
Somewhere between Frankfort and Cub Run, KY