Re: NANFA-L-- Get your sunglasses out...

Michael Wolfe (mwolfe-in-mindspring.com)
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:43:51 -0500

To add to the anecdotal evidence... I have had a problem with a light hood
that resulted in me having only one regular 48" fluorescent tube over my 75
gallon tank with my local (and some SC) yellowfin shiners (not exactly
rainbows, but same notropis group). Well, once I got the hood fixed, I put
it back into place... now with 4x48" fluorescent tubes. Well, I guess the
Notropis thought that it was a hot summer day with blazing overhead
sunlight... because they colored up almost immediately! So not exactly a
dark room, box or cooler... but a change in light intensity... resulted in
coloring up. I also have quite a bit of chasing and other "pre-spawning"
type activities.

To confirm others experiences... I have also seen water changes result in
similar "coloring up" responses.

One more anecdote, about these same fish... if fasted for a few days (short
business trip or a weekend out of town) they will often times partially
color up for an evening just with excitement from being fed. It does not
seem to be as intense or last as long as the water change or this recent
lighting change, but is still a very distinct change from the "normal"
coloration.

Michael Wolfe

color up and get frisky after immediately after massive water changes, and
after being moved from one tank to another. I've often wondered if this in
some way simulates a spring freshet. Just a thought. Would be something
work investigating experimentally.