Re: NANFA-L-- Car talk banned? Now eco rantings

Jerry Baker (nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz)
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:03:34 -0800

Moontanman-in-aol.com wrote:
> I've read that in Canada,-in-least in some places keeping a fish is limited
> to fish above and below a certain size. Supposed to keep the fishing pressure
> from selecting for small fish. Is this what you are referring to?

There was some research that suggested larger, older females had more
eggs, more eggs that hatched, more fry that survived, and fry that
matured into larger adults. By keeping the large fish and throwing back
the small fish we have been selecting females that will produce less
stock and a smaller size.