Re: NANFA-L-- River Raisin

Jeff Grabarkiewicz (threehorn_wartyback-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:07:46 -0800 (PST)

I may have been mistaken. Maybe it was more like 20-25. I didn't look-in-the McRae study, however the historic number would have to be 25+. (ie the Raisin use to have riffleshells, purple liliputs, round hickorynuts, etc)

Some of that stuff is on the Michigan Natural Features Inventory website. You can search by county or look-in-the species pdfs.

"Todd D. Crail" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
Yeah. If anyone wants to read the paper, it's on McRae's website:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dallan/pdfs/McRae2004.pdf

Jeffro had other info, I think from Badra and MDNR surveys. It's more like
31 species in the basin, if I remember correctly. Considering I found 11
looking around kinda half-arsed and their greatest richness-in-a site was
12... I have a little higher hopes for richness in the stream. And I'm sure
I saw three ridge and heelsplitters, they were just too deep in the channel
to reach because they're too large to get pushed to the side like the
rainbows and creeper. So that puts my count higher than what they found
already.

I'm excited to see they found rayed bean, and I've never seen an ellipse, so
that will be an exciting find if we see one. Although, I imagine it could
have been a funky rainbow or wavy-rayed.

Todd