Re: NANFA-L-- nanfa fish camps

Dustin Smith (dsmith73-in-hotmail.com)
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:07:27 -0500

In SC, a simple fishing license allows for collecting of fish as far as a
few guidelines are followed. You are not allowed to keep fish with any type
of protect. There are also some guidelines regarding seine parameters and
particular streams that are considered off-limits. These streams include
the ones that were mentioned earlier that have been designated trout
streams. A sicentific collecting permit or other special permit is required
to collect in these streams.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree

----Original Message Follows----
From: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- nanfa fish camps
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:29:51 -0600

I am not familiar with the regulations regarding scientific collecting
permits in the two states mentioned. However, almost all states
explicitly exclude from permission any collecting that is for other
than research or educational purposes. In Oklahoma and in Texas this
particularly includes any collecting for private purposes. In other
words, the permit does not allow collecting for the puurpose of keeping
fish-in-home in aquaria for ones pleasure or hobby.

I know that people do it all the time, but that does not make it within
the law.

I really became aware of this situation when I was still a graduate
student, and looking for a job as I neared completion of my degree. I
filed to renew my collecting permit in Texas and noted on the part of
the application where disposition of specimens is asked that I would
keep specimens in a private collection, even pointing out that I wanted
to do that so I could take them to wherever I was next employed to form
the base of a teaching collection. I was told that I could not do
that, but that I could deposit them to a named collection (such as a
museum or teaching collection-in-Oklahoma State University) and then
ask for them to be transferred to me when I reached my next teaching
post.

Seemed a silly distinction to me-in-the time, but ........... .

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"