Re: NANFA-L-- signipinnis spawned.

geoffrey kimber (gkimber2-in-gmail.com)
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:37:20 -0500

I have successfully bred SRBDs by creating an artificial stoneroller
nest in the tank and then pulling the adults out after they seem to
have bred.

I usually have 2 makes to 3 females in a 20 gallon long with no plants
and a good current. I like to keep some pretty fine gravel in the
tank and then add some 1/4 to 1/2 inch stones and push them down into
the gravel to make a depression about 8 inches across on one side of
the tank.

After the adults are taken out, I take the fiter out and replace it
with a seasoned sponge filter using an airstone to keep the filer
volume low. I feed the fry powdered flake once they leave the nest.

in the past, I have had over 100 fry result from 5 fish. Last year, I
only had about 50. My fish are currently having a short day cycle and
it's cold to try to fake them out that it's winter. In a few weeks, I
will lengthen the day period and set the tank back up and see what
happens.

Geoff Kimber
Fredericksburg, va