Re: NANFA-L-- Question about Pirate perch's scientific name

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Question about Pirate perch's scientific name
From: Dave McNeely (dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 15:21:38 CDT

This particular patronym has always been a nice pun, hasn't it? The suffix
anus has nothing to do with the odd morphology of this fish, however (the
generic name does). The suffix is a possessive, so this is literally the
_Aphrododerus_ that belongs to Say. The ending "i" (best I can determine)
literally means simply "named for." So I guess that Gilliams, who described
and named the fish, wanted to emphasize the discovery of the fish by Thomas
Say beyond honoring him, thus, it belonged to Say.

BTW, just got my Boschung, Mayden, and Tomelleri, _Fishes of Alabama_.
Wow!! Miller and Robinson's new edition of _Fishes of Oklahoma_ is pretty
nice, too, though not nearly as information packed as the Boschung book (but
it's a lot easier to carry around!!).

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology