Re: NANFA-L-- Sipsey, Alabama, trip

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Sipsey, Alabama, trip
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 06:54:20 CDT

Thanks Michael, I'm beginning to realize that burrheads are most likely
found in riffles, especially the lower end of riffles and right off the
bottom. The first ones I saw several years ago were out of that riffle under
the bridge upstream from that canoe launch on Sipsey Fork.

--Bruce Stallsmith
right near the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Michael Wolfe" <mwolfe-in-mindspring.com>
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Sipsey, Alabama, trip
>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400
>
>Bruce, I didn't actually see the turtles, but Casper did. We were chasing
>after a fish and thought we saw it go up under a rock ledge. Casper looked
>up under there and said there was a big bass and a couple of turtles...
>Casper, what were they???
>
>Although Dave was there and yes he did shock up a few fish, we were
>actually able to see them quite well while snorkeling... but they were all
>4 to 6 inch juveniles. But the coloration was still distinct enough to
>identify the Black Redhorse as being different from the Blacktail
>Redhorse... and we saw both... looked just like they do in the Fishes of
>Alabama book that I was able to get home and finally take a look through
>(fantastic book). The Redhorse were so busy feeding in the riffles, right
>there with the stone rollers and the blacktails, and the burrhead shiners
>(yes Prez you are reading correctly, there were right there under the
>bridge-in-the day park down the road 3 miles west of our camping
>location... once you know to look for those black lips, they are pretty
>much an obvious call... especially when you realize that they are always
>one of the lowest-in-the-water-column members of the mixed school of
>shiners... they behave very different from the Cyprinella they are swimming
>with). In fact the redhorse were so small and so abundant that Casper was
>actually able to catch a few with his dip net... he is both patient and
>fast with that net.
>
>Michael Wolfe

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:37 CDT