Re: NANFA-L-- Follow-Up On Alabama Turtle Poaching Arrests

Drummond Howard (drummondhoward-in-hotmail.com)
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:50:04 +0000

It appears there may be some limits-in-work here. Each person was charged
$100 per count. I don't know the laws there. Most states have very strict
poaching laws, get caught shooting a duck 10 minutes after the cut off and
they will wait till you put your boat on the trailer just so they can seize
your gun, boat, truck, the duck and your dog if you used one. Same thing
with fishing out of season, they wait till you start putting the fish and
gear in your car/truck so they can take that too. Most Game Wardens LOVE to
catch poachers!

In most states they would have lost every vehicle and piece of equipment
used to catch or transport the illegal turtles and the property used to
store the them.

Either Alabama has some really backwards laws or the story was incomplete.

Drummond Howard
Gaithersburg, Maryland