Re: NANFA-L-- seinerama 2/collecting

matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:18:24 -0700 (PDT)

You mean blackside dace right? Mountain redbelly carry know state or federal protection to my knowledge.

Your point 3 was exactly what I was getting-in-earlier for the fish and the organizations longterm benefits.

Matt
Cookeville, TN

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu wrote:
In order to collect legally one must follow the regulations of the
appropriate jurisdiction. At least one of the fishes you mentioned MAY
be a U.S.F.W.S. listed species, depending on which species (mountain
redbelly dace IS a listed species).

Does an export license specify which species may be exported?

In the aquarium trade and hobby, we need to be scrupulous to make sure
we are within the legal framework as we work and play. That will
accomplish-in-least three purposes: 1. keep individuals out of
trouble, 2. protect resources, 3. keep the trade and hobby reputable
and credible. This last may even give trade and hobby organizations
some clout in dealing with regulatory agencies concerning what
regulations should be.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"