RE: NANFA-L-- Photos from Kankakee river, Will county Illinois

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:53:36 -0400

Yeah many times the males just knock off after that final spawn. We're just
back from the Columbia Gorge in Oregon where some Catostomid was finishing
it's spawn (I think they're just commersoni, but the lips were freakin' huge)
and people kite boarding and wind surfing were running into their
flailing-bodies-soon-to-be-carcasses. It was amusing. They're like "That's
disgusting" and I'm like "Hey, can I borrow that for a minute?" :)

Also was checkin' out some phat lookin' sculpin in a costal range stream and
juvenile salmonid when the camera battery spent its last moments. Forest
photography is a pain and kills the batteries. And then you find a great
stream and don't have any juice left. Oh well.

Todd
Madness.
http://www.farmertodd.com

________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Uland Thomas
Sent: Fri 7/7/2006 2:24 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Photos from Kankakee river, Will county Illinois

We came a cross the pharyngeal teeth from a fully decomposed fish that
apparently died of natural causes (found on the side of a riffle).

It was brought to my attention the bluntnose minnow was labeled as a
fathead. I've made the request for the change.

Thanks for making me aware of the error.

"Crail, Todd" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
Pretty cool. Where'd the pharyngeal teeth come from? A spawned out fish?
That's a good idea to grab that shot. I run into them either spawned out of
beat to death by fisherman from time to time. I usually just get lip shots,
but this would be a good thing to show folks how these awesome animals chew
:)

Todd
Maumee! Mud! Madness!
It's never to late to have a happy childhood.
http://www.farmertodd.com <http://www.farmertodd.com/>