Re: NANFA-L-- Habitat questions and more fish pictures

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:52:56 -0500

Dan, Please let me express great thanks for all your work and
contributions to this list.

So far as a published glossary, I don't know of one as such. Most
limnology and stream ecology books do have terminology included.

I have seen in print a small waterfall like you described-in-a
confluence called a "pouroff." As with any waterfall, the body below,
if a pool, is called a "plunge pool." If the inflow you saw is from
ground water, it would be referred to so, as in "ground water
seepage." Slight surface flow would likewise be referred to simply as
such. Investigation as to source might be warranted, because if from
a swamp or marsh, for example, that would be quite different in
relation to the stream than if from recent rainfall. In that the
shiners were aggregating there, my suspician is that it was
groundwater (cooler than the stream it entered?).

BTW, an excellent resource for understanding groundwater in Texas and
its relation to streams is Gunnar Brune's _Springs of Texas_,
republished by Texas A&M Press a few years back. Copies of the
original are so scarce as to be literally priceless, but the reprint
can be had, and is available in many libraries.

Hope this helps, and I am no expert on stream terminology. I usually
just use whatever terms make sense in context, trying to explain
adequately so that people understand.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"