RE: NANFA-L-- Habitat questions and more fish pictures

Johnson, Daniel (DanJohnson-in-chevron.com)
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:36:36 -0500

Thanks Todd,

I was thinking "seep" might be the correct term.

The area where these seeps occur is probably a half mile +/- downstream
from the dam for Lake Livingston. I suppose that Lake might be a good
source for charging the ground water. It's kind of scary thinking that
this might be water seeping around the side from the Lake...

As for the crappie, I had thought that it might be a black, but I could
not convince myself that it had more that six dorsal spines. I looked
closely again after your comments and am still not sure. More recently
I have been saving full resolution copies of my pictures which would be
useful for helping this determination in the future. I plan to count
spines in the field for any future crappie catches as well.

--Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf
Of Crail, Todd
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:20 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Habitat questions and more fish pictures

Hi Dan,

This might be a "seep" feature that's got a name that hopefully can be
provide by someone more familiar with your area.

However... It sounds like you've got some NASTY incision going on in the
mainstem bed. Has there been a lot of impervious development or
drainage improvement upstream? Or maybe that's just the way the streams
are there?
Good ol' Flash n Dash, no channel stability?

What it sounds like (if it were here in OH, MI, IN) is that you _had_
hydrologically connected wetland features on the historic floodplain,
but the high to peak discharge of the stream has downcut material from
the river channel so that the base flow channel of the stream is _far_
below the water table.

This forces the water to drip off the old floodplain (and sit fetid with
'skeeters that everyone whines about), rather than pull via capillary
action through the soils back into the river (water is a continuum when
connected, and this water would "disappear" much more quickly if the
channel wasn't whacked, getting rid of those 'skeeters everyone whines
about).

That make any sense? The river has the energy to cut down, and we just
haven't had enough time to watch it retake a new floodplain, which it's
doing right now by dripping / seeping in from the sides. The only thing
that'll stop it from downcutting (besides Dave Derrick ;) is bedrock...
And then it'll just blow wide and scour-in-the banks more violently.
The river ALWAYS wins.

Also, as a curiosity from the rest of your fabulous page... I think your
first "white crappie" is actually a black crappie. That dorsal fin is
occupying a lot of space on the back. I'm counting 2 more spiny dorsal
rays as well on that specimen... But it could all just be angles. Do
you still have the specimen?

Todd
The Downcut Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com