Re: NANFA-L-- Chlorine Bleach

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:47:02 -0500

OK, I think I've got it. Bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite or
hypochlorous acid) is made by bubbling chlorine gas through a solution
of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). An excess of sodium hydroxide is
included in the final product to provide additional bleaching power,
and to keep the ph around 10 or 11. Sodium hypochlorite is a highly
hygroscopic solid (it adsorbs water from the air), and so is always
stored and shipped in solution, but the pure compound is a white
powder. If evaporated to dryness, bleach leaves a solid white powder
that is a mixture of sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride (table salt)
and sodium hydroxide. The last two are also hygroscopic, but less so
than the sodium hypochlorite itself. There are other chlorine bleaches
besides sodium hypochlorite. Though sodium hypochlorite spontaneously
breaks down to release chlorine gas as the pH in the solution drops
when used, and chlorine itself is a strong oxidizing agent,-in-the pH
used (usually above 8), it is the hypochlorite itself that oxidizes the
coloring agents, along with any residual (or purposely added in excess)
sodium hydroxide.

Source; local chemist, after consulting an industrial chemistry text.

Since the white residue left on drying includes sodium hydroxide, it
would be undesirable in aquaria, and so a bleach solution should not be
allowed simply to evaporate to dryness if used to disinfect tanks.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"